Peer Support Specialist
The certification process takes place AFTER an individual is trained. BPA Health manages certification for peer support specialists in Idaho. Please visit www.idahopeercert.com for additional certification information and direct your certification related questions to email@example.com or 208-947-1300.
1) You must first successfully complete Peer Support Specialist Training before applying for certification.
2) After completing training, you will be eligible to apply for peer support specialist certification through BPA Health using the 6-month CPSS certification application found here.
3) If your application is approved, you will receive a certification in the mail from the Peer and Family Support Certification Committee that is valid for 6 months. The Certification Committee has up to 30 days to complete the certification process and mail out your certificate. This means you may have to wait up to 1 month to provide peer support after completing your application for certification. While waiting to receive your certification, you can be interviewing for jobs and doing on-the-job orientation. You cannot bill for peer support you provide until after you have received proof of certification from BPA Health.
4) After receiving your 6 month certification, you will be a Certified Peer Support Specialist (CPSS). You will then use the next 6 months to accrue 100 hours of work and/or volunteer experience if you hold a bachelor’s degree or higher in a human services field OR 200 hours of work and/or volunteer experience if you have a high school diploma or GED but do not have a bachelor’s degree or higher in a human services field. You must also receive 20 hours of supervision by a degreed professional in a human services field who holds supervisory capacity at their organization. Please note the peer support provided during this time can be billed for and you can be a paid employee as long as you have received your initial 6 month certification.
You can apply for an extension of time if you need more than 6 months to accrue your 20 hours of supervision and 100-200 hours of work/volunteer experience. The Certification Committee understands it may take longer than 6 months to accrue hours and grants extension requests as needed.
5) Once completed, your supervisor will submit verification of your 100-200 hours of work/volunteer experience and 20 hours of supervision using the Supervision and Work/Volunteer Experience Verification Form found here. More than one form may be submitted if you receive supervision or work/volunteer experience at more than one location.
6) Once your supervision and work/volunteer experience is approved by the Certification Committee, you will be granted a full 1-year certification.
7) You will then continue to provide peer support and earn 10 hours of continuing education annually with at least 1 hour in ethics.
8) You will apply for annual certification renewal by submitting the Certification Renewal Application found here along with your continuing education certificates of completion. It will be your responsibility to renew your certification each year before it expires.
Please direct all certification questions to the Peer and Family Support Certification Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org or 208-947-1300.